See below for the full details on speakers and sessions at the 2022 NC Child Hunger Leaders Conference.
Thursday, February 17
Let’s begin our day of celebrating child hunger leaders with messages from statewide leaders and a keynote from Billy Shore, Founder and Executive Chair, Share Our Strength (No Kid Hungry campaign).
- Hosted by Gerald Owens, News Anchor, WRAL-TV
- Welcome: Lou Anne Crumpler, Director, Carolina Hunger Initiative, UNC Center for Health Promotion and Disease Prevention
- Message from UNC Chancellor Kevin Guskiewicz
- Message from Governor Roy Cooper and First Lady of NC Kristin Cooper
- Billy Shore, Founder and Executive Chair, Share Our Strength (No Kid Hungry campaign)
Feeding Kids OUTSIDE OF SCHOOL TIME
Summer meals, At-Risk Afterschool meals, and other programs have been more important than ever during this pandemic. Hear from state agencies and school nutrition directors about how these programs are being used to make sure kids have healthy meals.
- Led by Tamara Baker, Project & Communications Director, Carolina Hunger Initiative (UNC)
- Message from Kody Kinsley, Secretary of the NC Department of Health and Human Services (NC DHHS)
- Cynthia Ervin, Chief of Summer and Special Nutrition Programs, NC Department of Public Instruction
- L’nette Stokes, Director of Child Nutrition, Duplin County Schools
- Message from the new Division of Child and Family Well-Being, NC DHHS
- Yvonne Copeland, Director, Division of Child and Family Well-Being, NC DHHS
- Madhu Vulimiri, Deputy Director, Division of Child and Family Well-Being, NC DHHS
- Carla West, Senior Director for Economic Security, NC DHHS
- Tammy Woodie, Director of Child Nutrition, Avery County Schools
- Intro: Alice Ammerman, Director, UNC Center for Health Promotion and Disease Prevention
- Approaches to Equity: Cornell P. Wright, Executive Director of the Office of Minority Health and Health Disparities, NC DHHS
Feeding Kids THROUGH COMMUNITY PARTNERSHIPS
From food banks to community centers to local and national businesses, NC is full of many different organizations leading the fight against child hunger.
- Led by Gideon Adams, Vice President of Community Health & Engagement, Food Bank of Central & Eastern NC
- Approaches to Equity: Mariah Murrell, Vice President of Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion, Food Bank of Central & Eastern NC
- Courtney Tellefsen, Founder & CEO, The Produce Box
- Daryl Dockery, Founder, Wilmington’s Residential Adolescent Achievement Place (WRAAP)
- Transportation: Meals on the Move x Project DASH
- Ned Scher, Partnerships, Government, & Non-profit, DoorDash
- Tamara Baker, Project & Communications Director, Carolina Hunger Initiative (UNC)
- Advocacy in NC — How to Get Involved: NC Alliance for Health (NCAH)
- Morgan Wittman Gramann, Executive Director, NCAH
- Marianne Hedrick Weant, Programs Manager, NCAH
Cooking Demonstrations and Lunch Break
Grab your lunch and come on back to check out cooking demonstrations and recipe videos from kid chefs and our partners across the state.
Feedings Kids’ HEARTS AND MINDS
Hear from organizations that are working with children through gardens, kitchens, and classrooms to feed their hearts and minds in addition to their bellies.
- Led by Tiki Windley, Project Manager, Carolina Hunger Initiative (UNC)
- Ashley Honbarrier, Co-founder and Director, Happy Roots in Rowan County
- Jenny Ryan, Nutrition Education Manager, Food Bank of Central & Eastern NC (Garden Corps Project)
- Shironda Brown, Training Project Coordinator, Farm to Early Care and Education Initiative, NCSU Center for Environmental Farming Systems
- Michael Sasscer, Superintendent, Edenton-Chowan Public Schools, and Michelle Newsome, Principal, White Oak Elem., Edenton-Chowan Public Schools
- Approaches to Equity: Tessa Thraves, Farm to School Coordinator, NCSU Center for Environmental Farming Systems
Feeding Kids THROUGH SCHOOL
School nutrition professionals, educators, and Department of Public Instruction leaders share the “silver linings” that are keeping them going in the mission to feed kids.
- Led by Helen Roberts, Program Manager, Carolina Hunger Initiative & No Kid Hungry NC (UNC)
- Message from 2021 NC Teacher of the Year Eugenia Floyd
- Message from 2021 NC Principal of the Year Elena Ashburn
- Lynn Harvey, Director of School Nutrition and District Operations, NC Department of Public Instruction
- Lauren Weyand, School Nutrition Director, Craven County Schools
- Chatham County Schools Team
- Jennifer Ozkurt, Director of School Nutrition Services
- Brenda Caverly, Cafeteria Manager, Perry Harrison Elementary
- Amy Doty, Principal, Perry Harrison Elementary
- Lori Kleberg, EC Instruction Assistant, Perry Harrison Elementary
- Robert Taylor, Deputy Superintendent, School & Student Advancement, NC Department of Public Instruction
- Message from Catherine Truitt, Superintendent, NC Department of Public Instruction
Looking to the HORIZON
Motivator and storyteller Sonny Kelly ends the day with an inspiring message for all child hunger leaders.
- Sonny Kelly, Motivator, Storyteller, and Teacher, Fayetteville, NC
- Closing: Lou Anne Crumpler, Director, Carolina Hunger Initiative, UNC Center for Health Promotion and Disease Prevention